1. Every half second, a garbage bag worth of plastic makes it into the world’s oceans.
2. At least 8 million tons of plastic enter the oceans each year. That’s similar to emptying a garbage truck of plastic into an ocean every minute.
3. There is more microplastic in the ocean than there are stars in the Milky Way.
4. 322 million tons of plastic were produced in 2015 — the same weight as 900 Empire State Buildings (which is made of granite and steel).
5. 60-90% of marine litter is plastic-based.
6. More than 50% of sea turtles have consumed plastic.
7. The average US citizen consumes 167 plastic water bottles each year — but recycles just 25% of them.
8. The amount of plastic in the world’s oceans could increase by a factor of 10 in the next decade.
9. Cigarette butts, plastic bags, fishing gear, and food and beverage containers are the most common forms of plastic pollution found in the oceans.
Get your free Stainless Steel Straws!